Friday, May 30, 2008

Berners Bay

Our annual Hooligan Camp ended a few weeks ago and I returned from my brief stint in Berners Bay with a few photos to share.
Don't be fooled! Although extremely cute, this little Pine Marten (Martes martes) chewed his way into our Weatherport and drug out an entire loaf of pumpkin bread that was twice his size. He sat in this tree squawking at us while we photographed him. For the next week, he would show up at 4:30 am every morning and scratch at the duct tape-covered hole where he had gotten in before. I finally caught him using a shrimp pot baited with peanuts. I gave him enough of a razzing that he never returned after that incident.
When the hooligan are running, the gull activity is phenomenal. This year's run was particularly small but the gulls still showed up in large quantities.
When we arrive, these flats are covered in snow. You can follow a variety of animal tracks throught the snow and see who's been wandering through. By the time we leave Berners Bay, these flays are green with the fresh growth of spring.We counted over two hundred eagles from the deck of our Weatherport one morning.
A daily encounter, his eyes were fixed on the waters below to pick off hooligans that had been stranded in small pools by the tide.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME phohos Dave! I still LOVE the first little guy..he is so cute and I like sneaky!:)Thanks for sharing~