Saturday, June 28, 2008

While Mark and Dad rode the tram up Mt. Roberts, Emily and I went up to the library to pass some time. While inside, I read an article - "How to catch big 'buts." Apparently, big baits are the key to catching big halibut. I decided to experiment and came up with this cocktail bait that included 4 pieces of salmon belly soaked in herring oil, one hooligan, a twelve inch whole herring and two sharp stainless steel hooks.
This 65 lb. halibut took the bait! Mark taught us how all how to gaff with his sweet gaffing skills. He also has other talents including nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills and computer hacking skills.
I also caught this ling cod which is somewhat of a rarity for Juneau's waters.
We got up early the next morning and hooked into some chums at Amalga Harbor.

Mark's chum.


1 comment:

Steve, Amy and Company said...

HOLY COW. (or holy fish.) I cannot believe the size of that thing!