Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Moles and Skin Barnacles...

I went to the dermatologist today to have what I thought was a funny looking mole/skin tag on my shoulder examined. The funny bump had been there for who knows how long and had just been a part of my arm as far as I was concerned...but Dave said it seemed odd and thought I should get it checked out. So, I made myself and appointment for what I thought would be a routine check-up of my skin oddity. Let me tell you what a routine check-up resulted in:

1. 1 shaved shoulder
2. 3 stitches in my lower left calf (the first stitches of my life)

It turns out the "bump" on my shoulder was a seborrheic keratoses aka skin barnacle (I would insert a picture here but the photos online look way worse than mine was). The doctor also noticed a questionable dark mole/freckle on my leg. Before I knew it the physician's assistant had numbed my shoulder and leg and proceeded to take the barnacle off my shoulder with what looked like a hand held cheese grater. He then took a hole punch and punched the mole right out of my leg. All of this took place in less than 30 minutes! I have to return to the dermatologist to have my three stitches removed and hopefully receive the results of the biopsies. So if anyone out there has a slightly odd looking mole/freckle/skin barnacle, think about having it checked out by a physician because it may need to be removed. Better to be safe than sorry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh My! I hope everything turns out okay, keep us posted!

Laura said...

Wow, what an appointment! Keep us posted on the results!!